By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Apartment fire burns 60-year-old
Placeholder Image

A 60-year-old man remained in Northeast Georgia Medical Center on Tuesday with second-degree burns over nearly a third of his body following a fire Monday night at his Tower Heights Road apartment.

Gainesville Fire Chief Jon Canada said fire crews were called to 320 Tower Heights Road at about 7:20 p.m. Monday, where heavy smoke was seen coming from an 1,600-square-foot, single story apartment building.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was confined to a bathroom in one of the building’s three apartments, soon after arriving, Canada said.

Canada said the occupant burned his left shoulder, torso, left leg and foot while trying to put the fire out. He was taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center, where he was in fair and stable condition Tuesday, Canada said.

The fire was started when an unattended space heater in the bathroom caught a clothes hamper and shower curtain on fire, Canada said.

Space heaters should have a minimum of three feet clearance and never be left unattended, Canada said.

Regional events