Three people were treated for exposure to ammonia on Friday afternoon after a leak at Koch Foods on Industrial Boulevard in Gainesville.
Gainesville firefighters and hazmat units responded to the leak about 1:30 p.m. as workers were evacuating the poultry plant.
“There was a high level of ammonia detected inside of the plant,” Gainesville fire spokesman Keith Smith said in a statement. “Personnel on scene used the HVAC units to remove the ammonia from the plant. Once the levels were returned to a safe level, the plant was turned over to plant staff and operations were resumed.”
Smith said the leak began when workers accidentally cut an ammonia line that mistakenly believed to be inoperable. Renovations at the plant are ongoing.