By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
12 days to a fire-safe Christmas: Candles can spark a blaze
Placeholder Image

Prep semifinals: Flowery Branch at LaGrange

Times video news

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Many holiday celebrations and observances require the use of candles. The number of candle-related fires increases significantly during this holiday season. In order to ensure a fire-safe holiday when using candles, follow these precautions:

If possible, avoid using lit candles.

Always keep candle tools, such as matches and lighters, out of the reach of children.

Make sure candles are in stable holders and place them where they cannot be knocked over easily.

Never leave the room where candles are burning, particularly if there are young children or pets present. The family dog can easily be the cause of a tipped-over candle.

Never put lit candles on a tree. In fact, never go near the Christmas tree with an open flame — candles, lighters or matches.

When using candles, make sure there is a one-foot clearance around the candle. This includes curtains, decorations or anything combustible.

Consider using flame-less candles, such as battery-operated candles. Many of these candles are scented, and work well in windows or other areas where combustibles may be nearby.

With the onset of the holiday season, it is important to focus on fire safety and prevention. For 12 days, Hall County Fire Services will be providing tips for making your holidays safe. For more information, contact Lt. Beverley Walker with Hall County Fire Services at 770-531-6838.