Squash, onion and cheddar bake
* 1 1/2 pounds pattypan squash
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
* 1 tablespoon butter, divided
Cut squash into 1/2 inch thick wedges and cook in boiling, salted water until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well.
In a separate skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until soft and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, add thyme and remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter, stir to combine.
Add squash to onion mixture and toss gently together. Place mixture in greased baking dish and top with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake at 350 degrees until cheese in melted and squash is hot through.
It makes 3 to 4 servings.
Sauteed squash and leeks or onions
* 1 1/2 pounds of assorted squash, sliced
* 1 cup sliced leeks or onions
* 2 tablespoon olive oil
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
Saute squash and leeks or onions in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for five minutes or until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste; sprinkle with cheese and basil.
It makes six servings.
Source: Cedar Hollow Farm, Cleveland