Freezer prep smoothie
* 1 cup spinach
* 4 large frozen strawberries
* 3/4 cup frozen blueberries and raspberries
* 1/4 sliced banana
* 3/4 to 1 cup of almond milk or plain yogurt
To assemble, put your fruit and veggies in a Ziploc plastic bag and freeze.
When you’re ready for your drink, add your liquid base (almond milk or yogurt).
Place contents of your freezer bag into the blender and blend until smooth. Add protein powder if you like.
Source: Annie Foreman, www.realhousewifeoffresno.com
* 2 cups kale
* 1/2 fennel bulb
* 1/2 cucumber
* 3-4 sprigs mint
* 2 apples
* 1 banana
* 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (can substitute coconut water or soy milk)
Blend kale and mint with the liquid base of your choosing. Then add cucumber and fennel, blend well.
Add apples and banana. Blend well and add more banana if additional sweetness is needed.
Pour into a glass and serve.
Source: Stephanie Vucovich Cholakian
Peach Pie Smoothie
* 1 1/2 cups of frozen peaches
* 4 ounces of plain cultured yogurt
* 2 ounces of water
* 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
* 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
* 3 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
Combine yogurt, water, chia seeds, nutmeg and cinnamon in a blender until well mixed. Add frozen fruit and blend to desired consistency.
Pour into glass.
Source: Tara Hamilton
Mixed berry smoothie with beets
* 1 cup mixed frozen berries or blueberries
* 2 teaspoons chia seeds
* 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tablespoon walnuts
* 1/3 cup diced beet, either raw, canned or roasted
* Handful fresh spinach or 1-2 tablespoons frozen spinach
* 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt or low-fat coconut milk
* 1 frozen banana or 1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 minute.
Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Source: Dr. Kim Newell, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Medical Center