School News: Starting next month, the school news announcements will publish in the Sunday Life edition.
Students from Gainesville, Chestatee, Flowery Branch, Johnson and West Hall high school competed at the Health Occupation Students of America State Leadership Conference and Competition recently in Athens recently.
HOSA students competed against more than 3,400 competitors and will advance to the national competition in five areas. Nationals will be in June in Orlando, Fla.
The following county students in the top three in their events were:
* Samantha Alverson, West Hall, National Service Project Award
* Yennifer Clarin, West Hall, HOSA Happenings Award
* Connor Grady, Johnson High, Barbara James Service Award, Presidential Silver Level
* Christopher Marin, Johnson High, Barbara James Service Award
* Morgan Millwood, West Hall, Barbara James Service Award, Presidential Bronze Level
* Taylor Walker, West Hall, Outstanding HOSA chapter award
* Kristina Ballowe, Flowery Branch, extemporaneous health poster
* West Hall High Chapter, Red Cross Outstanding HOSA Chapter Award
* Zach Johnson and Tylor Johnson, Flowery Branch, CERT skills
* Kristen McCole, Flowery Branch, pharmacology
* Morgan Millwood, West Hall, transcultural healthcare
The following Gainesville students placing in the top three were:
* Martha Mateos for interviewing skills.
* Alexis Smith for the national service project with cystic fibrosis.
* Jessica Tran for the HOSA Happenings newsletter.
* Betty Huynh and Indira Islas for the Barbara James Service Award: Gold (community service).
* Jenny Ho for healthcare issues exam.
All of these students will advance to the national conference in Orlando, Fla.