The Bowen Center for the Arts in Dawsonville was filled to the rafters with holiday cheer, and Nov. 22 marked the first Mrs. Santa Pie Contest and Tasting.
The old-timey contest boasted sweet or savory pies from the best kitchens in town. Judges included Dawsonville Mayor James Grogan, Rotarians and Bowen board members Doug Powell and Warren King, and Dahlonega artist and Bowen member Paul Schiemer.
In the sweet pie category:
- First — Jacqueline Somerville for her blue-ribbon apple pie
- Second — Nancy King for her pear cranberry pie
- Third — Pat Cavanaugh for her caramel chocolate pecan pie
In the savory category:
- First — Bowen Director Ginny Greenwood for her tomato bacon quiche
- Second — Liz Thornloe for butternut squash pecan pie
- Third — Regina Varnado for her crawfish pie.
Prizes from Pampered Chef included ceramic deep-dish pie plates, steel loaf pans, silicone oven mitts, serving spatulas and confectioneries from Paul Thomas Chocolatier of Dahlonega. Donations for pie tasting allowed visitors and friends a hearty lunch and lots of fun.