By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Officials recover body of man who went missing in Lanier
Helicopters and boats searched Tuesday for a man missing after a crash Monday night on Lake Lanier. - photo by Jim Dean

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Critical Incident Reconstruction Team has located the body of 34-year-old Yakov Shteyman near north Forsyth’s Six Mile Creek, according to several officials familiar with the investigation.

Authorities had been searching for the Cumming man since Monday, when he went missing on Lake Lanier after a boat and personal watercraft collided.

Yakov Shteyman, 34, of Cumming, was operating the personal watercraft when he was ejected into the water and did not resurface, according to authorities.

Emergency personnel responded to Charleston Park in North Forsyth around 8:30 p.m. Monday, according to Deputy Doug Rainwater, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office.

“We made the initial missing person report from when he fell off the Jet Ski (Monday) night,” Rainwater said.

The search Monday, which involved multiple agencies, helicopters and boats, concluded around 3 a.m. Tuesday, DNR Region 1 Supervisor Capt. Johnny Johnson said.

DNR and Forsyth officials were back on the scene around 9 a.m. Tuesday, Johnson said, with DNR’s Critical Incident Reconstruction Team as the official search agency.

Shteyman is the second fatality on the lake already this year, Johnson said.

In February, a 37-year-old Buford man drowned off a dock in Hall County.

There were 22 fatalities in Lake Lanier in 2016.

“This is early,” Johnson said. “We don’t like to start (having fatalities) this early. Usually, it’s around Memorial Day weekend when everything starts.

“It’s difficult to look forward to a summer when it starts like this.”

Maj. Stephen Adams with the DNR’s special operations division said though Shteyman’s body has been found, the DNR will keep investigating his death, and also stressed the importance of wearing a lifejacket.

“The investigation takes about eight to 10 weeks, plus toxicology,” he said.

The driver and passengers of the bass boat are cooperating with authorities.