By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man given 9-year sentence in attempted rape case
Ricardo Rivas
Ricardo Rivas

A Gainesville man was given nine years in confinement after a negotiated plea deal on an attempted rape case, according to court documents.

Ricardo Rivas, 27, took an Alford plea Tuesday, July 2, on charges of attempted rape and aggravated assault with intent to rape. Superior Court Judge Jason Deal handed down a total 20-year sentence, with the first nine years behind bars.

In an Alford plea, Rivas will maintain his innocence while conceding the evidence at trial would likely lead to a conviction.

Defense attorney Clint Teston declined to comment.

As part of the deal, the prosecutors dismissed the charges of aggravated sexual battery and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime.

Gainesville Police Sgt. Kevin Holbrook said a group of people were at the victim’s residence on Saturday, July 28, in Gainesville.

According to police, Rivas allegedly attempted to force himself on the 23-year-old victim but “was unsuccessful due to the struggle that ensued.”

Police responded to the apartment Sunday, July 29. Holbrook said the victim and Rivas were previously acquainted.

According to the indictment, Rivas was accused of “removing the shorts and underwear of said victim and covering (her) mouth.”

Rivas will receive credit for time served since his arrest last year.

He will also be subject to the special sex offender terms of probation as well as random drug and alcohol screens.

Regional events