Amberlee Hoagland was in one of the back rooms of her DeSota Street home with her newborn baby girl Sept. 18 when she noticed the smoke.
“I turned the corner and the whole front room was ablaze,” Hoagland said.
Hoagland ran out the back door with the baby, and firefighters were on scene trying to tackle the fire before 9 a.m. Sept. 18.
Items close to candles caught fire in the living room of the Desota Street home Wednesday morning, according to the Gainesville Fire Department.
Hoagland said she and her family were renting and have renter’s insurance, though they are immediately seeking a place to live. Hoagland, her fiance and five children were displaced by the fire.
The family has set up a Gofundme account.
The Red Cross covered two nights at a hotel, and the family paid out of pocket to stay until Monday, Sept. 23.
Hoagland said many of their belongings suffered smoke damage.
“We lost all of our new baby items, baby swings, formula, diapers and our mattresses,” Hoagland wrote on the fundraiser page.
The family was approved for another rental, but the amount needed upfront was more than they could afford.
“We’re still looking for places, if anybody can help us find a rental or has a rental. That would be very, very helpful for us,” Hoagland said.