By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire spreads from man's car to house
Placeholder Image

No one was injured in a fire that burned about half of Calvin Sargent’s home.

Gainesville and Hall County fire departments responded to Sargent’s call for help at about 2 p.m. Saturday. They arrived to his home at 2099 Skelton Road and found half of the house on fire.

Hall County Fire Capt. Scott Cagle said Sargent was the only person home when the fire started in the carport attached to the home. Sargent was repairing his car when the carburetor backfired and started a small fire in the vehicle’s engine compartment.

After unsuccessful attempts to douse the flames himself, Sargent called for help.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire, but the approximately $100,000 home already had sustained about $50,000 of damage and is unlivable, Cagle said.

Cagle said Sargent is seeking clothing and temporary shelter from the Red Cross. Fire officials determined the home fire an accident.

Regional events