By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cold weather fire safety tips
Placeholder Image

With cold weather often leading to alternative methods of heating homes, Hall County Fire Marshal Capt. Scott Cagle recommends the following precautions:

Fireplaces

• Use only seasoned hardwood. Soft, moist wood accelerates creosote buildup.
 Build small fires that burn completely and produce less smoke.
• Never burn cardboard boxes, trash or debris in your fireplace or wood stove.
 Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
• Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.
Soak hot ashes in water and place them in a metal container outside your home.

For electric space heaters

• Space heaters need space. Keep items at least three feet away from each heater – in front, behind, above and below.
When buying a space heater, only buy one with a safety feature that automatically shuts off the power if the heater falls over, and that has been evaluated by a testing laboratory.
• Space heaters require a large amount of electricity. When using a space heater, do not plug anything else into the same outlet.
• Never leave space heaters unattended. Turn them off and unplug them when leaving the home or when going to bed at night.

To avoid carbon monoxide dangers

• Never use your range or oven to help heat your home and never use a charcoal grill or hibachi in your home or garage.
• Never keep a car running in a garage. Even if the garage doors are open, normal circulation will not provide enough fresh air to reliably prevent a dangerous buildup of CO.
• Install at least one carbon monoxide alarm with an audible warning signal near the sleeping areas and outside individual bedrooms.
• Check smoke alarms and practice a home escape plan,.

Source: Fire Marshal Scott Cagle

 

Regional events