By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Georgia Consumer: Deer can be tough critters to keep out of your garden and yard
Placeholder Image

Question: What can I do to keep deer out of my yard and garden?
: Although deer will eat anything if hungry enough, given a choice they tend to stay away from succulent plants, poisonous plants, pungent flavored plants, and plants with hairy or furry leaves. Plant ornamentals with these qualities in areas of heavy deer traffic. Deer can be scared away by motion sensor devices attached to lights or loud music. Of all the methods, though, fencing is the most reliable.

Q: What kind of fencing should be used to keep deer out?
A: Deer are probably on the top of the list of animal home owners want to fence out. Since they can jump, the fence needs to be constructed high and at an angle to deter them.
There are many design variations for deer barriers available from game wardens. One effective option is an 8- to 10-foot tall fence slanted at a 45 degree angle toward the direction deer are most likely to come (for an illustration, contact our office). It will make them think twice about jumping. Keep the fence snug to the ground, since deer can also wiggle under fences. Solid fences that block the view to a food source also work well.

Q: I would like to sell a small quantity of goat milk. Do I have to be licensed?
: Yes, however a distinction must be made as to whether the milk will be sold for human consumption or as pet feed. If the milk will be sold for human consumption, you will need to contact our Dairy Office for information at 4040636-3625. However, if this milk is to be used for pet feed then you will need to speak to a representative of our Plant Food, Feed and Grain Office at 404-636-3637. Either of these offices can also be reached through our toll free number, 800-282-5852.

Any person, who buys and sells poultry (at home, auction markets and/or flea markets,) must be licensed as a poultry dealer, broker or sales establishment. Please contact our office of livestock and poultry at 404-656-3665 (Atlanta) or 1-800-282-5852, ext. 3665 (statewide) for further information. If however, you intend to slaughter these chickens yourself, you will then have to be inspected and licensed by our office of consumer protection. They will inspect your facility to ensure that it meets our regulatory requirements for selling food directly to the consuming public. This office can be reached at 404-656-3621 (Atlanta) or 1-800-282-5852, ext. 3621 (statewide).

Product recall
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Intermatic Inc., of Spring Grove, Ill., announces a voluntary recall of 8,500 Intermatic DT27 Digital Self-Adjusting Timers. Consumers should stop using the recalled timer immediately and unplug before checking the model number and date code.
The timers are made by Ewig Industries Macao Commercial Offshore Ltd., of Macau, China.

The recalled timers could have been wired incorrectly, which poses an electrical shock hazard to consumers. This recall involves the Intermatic DT27 digital self-adjusting timer with a date code of "04B." This product is a lamp and appliance timer and is packaged as either the "DT27C Heavy Duty Digital Timer" or the "DT27CL Time All Digital Lamp and Appliance Self-Adjusting Timer."

The timer is white with a rounded top, and measures 3Ù" tall by 2»" wide by 1ƒ" deep. The brand name "Intermatic" is molded on the front of the timer, and the model number ("DT27") and date code ("04B") are printed on the back of the timer. The timers were sold at retailers nationwide, including Home Depot and Lowe's, from February 2007 through December 2007 for between $15 and $25.

Consumers should contact Intermatic to return the timer and obtain a free replacement. For additional information, or to request a prepaid shipping label, call Intermatic at 800-704-3595 anytime or visit the company's Web site at

If you have questions or problems with services or products regulated by the Georgia Department of Agriculture you may write the Office of Public Affairs, 19 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Room 226, Atlanta, GA 30334 or call (800) 282-5852. This column appears Sundays. First published Jan. 20, 2008.