The big day is here, and it is time for fun with family and friends. These are some last-minute reminders to ensure that today is a fire safe one for you and your family.
Do not discard of wrapping paper in the fireplace. A large of amount of burning paper can cause the creosote inside the chimney to ignite.
Leave smoke alarm batteries alone! Even if one is needed for that special toy or present, do not remove the battery from the smoke alarm. Find another source for the battery or wait until one can be purchased.
Check the needles on a live Christmas tree. If they are brittle and easy to break, do not turn on the lights and do take it down so that it can be removed from the house.
Smokers needs watchers. Encourage those visiting family members or friends that smoke to do so outside, and ensure that smoking materials are properly extinguished.
Check new toys for proper operation and verify that any electrical devices or appliances are UL approved before using them.
Stay in the kitchen while cooking. It is easy to get distracted by the festivities in the home. If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the burner or turn it down to the lowest setting.
With the onset of the holiday season, it is important to focus on fire safety and prevention. For 12 days, Hall County Fire Services will be providing tips for making your holidays safe. For more information, contact Lt. Beverley Walker with Hall County Fire Services at 770-531-6838.