By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Your Views: Some finding a loophole to pay lower tag fees
Placeholder Image

Letters policy: Send by e-mail to (no attached files, please, which can contain viruses); fax to 770-532-0457; mail to The Times, P.O. Box 838, Gainesville, GA 30503; or click HERE for a form. Include full name, hometown and phone number for confirmation. They should be limited to one topic on issues of public interest and may be edited for content and length (limit of 500 words). Letters originating from other sources, those involving personal, business or legal disputes, poetry, expressions of faith or memorial tributes may be rejected. You may be limited to one letter per month, two on a single topic. Submitted items may be published in print, electronic or other forms. Letters, columns and cartoons express the opinions of the authors and not of The Times editorial board.

Your article on county citizens buying their vehicle tags in other counties needs further addressing. I was a part-time pastor in Rabun County for four years and lived up there most of each year. So one year I bought a Rabun County tag. My legal address was in DeKalb County, where my wife and I owned a house. In any event, I paid about $20 for a Rabun County tag.

Later, the DeKalb County tax assessor caught up with me and I ended up buying their brand for around $55.

Meanwhile, I met a prominent Atlanta attorney, now deceased, living in Fulton County. He owned five or six high-dollar vehicles. He established a corporation in Rabun County, which promptly bought his family vehicles. He then proceeded to purchase Rabun County tags through the corporation.

As far as I can remember, the only function of the corporation was owning vehicles, which it rented out for a tiny sum to - you guessed it - family members. He told me he saved about $7,000 annually.
I cannot help but wonder how many well-to-do people, not only attorneys, who have dummy corporations in other counties. I have no idea how to track this down, but you might be able to.

George C. Kaulbach