A faulty sprinkler head in an elevator shaft Monday morning caused children to be evacuated from Fair Street School.
The Gainesville Fire Department responded to the call, as the children were evacuated around 11 a.m.
“When that activates, the water flow sets off the fire alarm because there’s water moving through the sprinklers,” fire department spokesman Keith Smith said.
Children returned to the building 10-15 minutes later, and the elevator will be out of service until it can be inspected.
“They’re not exactly sure why the sprinkler head went off. There was no fire and no smoke or anything,” Smith said.