By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Mattress fire ignites at old Gainesville Motel
06062018 GORDON 1
The hulk of a burned mattress sits in front of firefighters clearing Room 38 of smoke at the old Gainesville Hotel on Tuesday. Photo courtesy of the Gainesville Fire Department.

A mattress fire smoked out a room of the vacant Gainesville Motel on Gordon Avenue on Tuesday, June 5.

The Gainesville Fire Department responded to a report of fire from the derelict hotel just after 8 a.m. and found a smoldering mattress in Room 38. No one was in the room and no one was injured, according to Division Chief Keith Smith.

It appears that the fire was started by careless smoking, according to Smith, and the Gainesville Fire Marshal’s office is investigating.

Regional events