By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ask the Times: Residence rules for council members vary among towns
Placeholder Image

If you’ve been wondering about something in your community, Ask The Times is your place to get answers. The following questions were submitted by readers and answered by the efforts of our news staff.

I would like to know how you can be on the town council in one town and live in another town?

Council members must live in the town, though exact rules vary slightly between them.

In Gainesville, your primary residence must be in the district that you represent. There are five districts, and all of the city’s residents choose the council members representing those districts. A mayor is also selected by the voters and can be from any of the city’s districts.

Council members must have been a resident of the town for at least a year.

The situation is similar in other Hall County towns.

Clermont recently changed its charter so that council members will be selected from four wards and one council member and the mayor will be selected from anywhere in the town. They will still be elected by all the town’s voters rather than just by voters in each ward.

Lula has five districts, and members are elected at-large.

Flowery Branch and Gillsville have no districts, so council members can be elected from anywhere in the city.

Do you have a question you’d like our news team to answer? Contact us at:


Regional events