By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Last of quadruplets leaves hospital, joins sisters at home
Quadruplets born Jan. 21 at Gainesville hospital
Neonatal intensive care unit nurse Jeanine Smith hands off young Callie Noel Davidson to father Justin on Monday afternoon at the Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville. Callie is the final Davidson quadruplet to be released from the hospital's Women and Children's Pavilion. The four were born Jan. 21.

With the close of a Chevy Suburban door, Callie Noel Davidson was finally on her way home Monday afternoon.

Callie had been at Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville since she and her three sisters — McKenna Emory, Teagan Kate and Sawyer Claire — were born Jan. 21. The foursome was the Gainesville hospital’s first-ever set of quadruplets.

Their mom, Julie Davidson, was at the family’s home in Banks County with the sisters while her husband, Justin, picked up Callie.

“I’m very relieved they’re all home,” Julie said later by phone. “I’m very happy. I finally feel they’re where they’re supposed to be.”

Justin gave Callie her last feeding in the hospital nursery and then set about putting the bundled-up baby in her car seat.

“OK, sweetheart, ready to go home,” he said.

The hospital had been the home of one or more of the Davidsons since Dec. 8, when Julie was placed on bed rest in the Women and Children’s Pavilion.

After the much-publicized births, the foursome spent some time in the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit.

“They’ll go home when they reach the right goal — when they’re eating on their own, breathing (well on their own), digesting and going to the bathroom (well),” Justin said in an interview after Julie’s deliveries by caesarean section.

The expectation was all the babies would be discharged by Julie’s original due date, March 29.

One by one, the girls came home, and they’re growing in weight and length, Justin said.

Callie, who was 2 pounds 6 ounces at birth, left the hospital at 6 pounds 5 ounces.

“Unless they get a stomach ache, gas or something, they sleep for four hours (after feedings),” Justin said.

He added through a slight groan, “I thought we wouldn’t be sleeping at all, but they’ve been a whole lot easier (to care for) than I would have guessed.”

As for mom, she’s “doing really well,” Justin said. “You would think she’d be worn out and stressed, but she’s doing fine.”