By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hall ponders $2.9 million in road resurfacing
Officials talk of County Code changes
Placeholder Image

Hall County is looking to approve $2.9 million for road resurfacing over the next six months.

The Board of Commissioners is considering a bid from Snellville-based E.R. Snell Contractors for the work, which had been budgeted at nearly $3.1 million. Final award is expected Thursday.

The county’s special purpose local option sales tax revenue, as well as the state Local Maintenance Improvement Grant, will pay for the resurfacing.

“It will take a couple of weeks to get the contracts (finished) and for the contractor to begin work,” Hall County civil engineer Jody Woodall told the commissioners at their work session Tuesday.

The contract completion date is April 30.

Nearly 20 miles of roads will be resurfaced as part of the annual program with the state, with projects encompassing various lengths of road.

The biggest project will be a resurfacing of Bethel Road for nearly 3 miles between Ga. 52 and Ga. 283. Other long stretches will take place on Bill Wilson, Mangum Mill and Ledan roads.

Talk of the improvements led to a brief discussion of the toll that heavy rains on Oct. 1-2 took on area roads.

Commissioner Scott Gibbs told county staff that part of Ledan Road near Thompson Bridge Road was undermined by the storms, which produced 7-plus inches of rain in the area.

“There were three roads that washed out due to the significant rain event and obviously we had to move forward with an emergency mode and authorize (repairs),” County Administrator Randy Knighton said.

In other business, county officials talked about changes to the Hall County Code that would allow a nonprofit organization to get a permit for alcohol sales for a special event. Basically, the change would put the code in line with state regulations.

“If you’re a nonprofit and you want to have an event at one of our parks, you get a special event permit from the state and then you go to our business license (office) and get the same permit from the county,” County Attorney Bill Blalock said after the meeting.

“And then, you can serve alcohol as long as it (is) provided by a wholesaler. You can’t go out and buy beer from the local beer store and bring it in and serve it.”

Regional events