Five people have lost their home after a fire broke out in a Chestnut Street residence in Gainesville Thursday morning.
The cause of the fire wasn’t clear as of 7 p.m. Thursday, but the five people in the home were able to exit the residence, according to Gainesville Fire Department spokesman Keith Smith.
The fire has been extinguished and firefighters are checking the site for hot spots, which could reignite the home if left unattended.
Chestnut Street sits between Main Street and E. E. Butler Parkway southeast of downtown Gainesville.
Osmar Altamirano said his father and owner of La Esperanza Bakery, Albino Altamirano, was renting out the property.
He said he recalled black smoke coming from the house that was surrounded by five or six fire trucks around 7:15 a.m.
Smith said five brothers and sisters, all adults, were living at the residence.
Gainesville Code Enforcement was seen in and around the home Thursday afternoon.