For many, the roaring fire in the fireplace adds to the holiday festivities. However, if not used properly, the fireplace can be a source of deadly home fires. Remember these tips when using your fireplace:
- Have the chimney inspected and cleaned if necessary, especially if it has not been used for some time.
- Never use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening, to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out, keep unwanted material from going in and help prevent the possibility of burns to occupants.
- Don’t use excessive amounts of paper to build roaring fires in fireplaces. It is possible to ignite creosote in the chimney by overbuilding the fire.
- Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
- Keep flammable materials away from your fireplace mantel. A spark from the fireplace easily could ignite these materials.
- Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace fire is out.
With the onset of the holiday season, it is important to focus on fire safety and prevention. For 12 days, Hall County Fire Services will be providing tips for making your holidays safe. For more information, contact Lt. Beverley Walker with Hall County Fire Services at 770-531-6838.