Smoked Trout Noodle Soup
Start to finish: 30 minutes/Servings: 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Large sprig fresh rosemary
- 6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) chicken broth
- 2 cups elbow pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8-ounce package smoked trout
In a large saucepan over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the garlic, carrots, onion, celery, peas, thyme and rosemary. Saute for 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until barely tender. Remove and discard the rosemary stem. Add the spinach and scallions and heat for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
Using a fork, flake and break up the trout into large bite-size chunks. Ladle the soup into serving bowls, then pile a bit of the trout in the center of each.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 320 calories; 80 calories from fat (25 percent of total calories); 9 g fat (2 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 35 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrate; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 630 mg sodium.