Purple majesty fork-crushed potatoes
- 1-pound purple majesty potato, washed, scrubbed and peeled, cut in half or quartered depending on size
- 2-3 shallots, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the potatoes until tender, approximately 25 minutes.
Place the potatoes back in the pot and using a fork, mash the potatoes.
Fold in the remaining ingredients, sprinkling the lemon juice on top of the potatoes last.
Pattypan squash fritters
- Oil (for frying)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded pattypan squash
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Before shredding, cut out the stem of the squash, but there’s no need to peel it.
If the squash is large, more than 4 inches across, you may wish to cut out the bigger seeds.
Preheat about ½-inch oil over medium-high heat in a deep skillet.
Beat the eggs, milk and oil into the squash in a large bowl, then add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined with a few strokes.
Drop tablespoons of batter into hot oil in a big skillet. You can cook up to 8 at a time.
Cook until brown, turn with a spatula and cook the other side until brown.
Drain on newspaper or other suitable draining surface.
Serve with horseradish sauce, ketchup.
Burgundy okra shoestring fries
- 1 pound small, burgundy okra pods, rinsed and patted-dry
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- Sunflower or canola oil for frying
- Sea salt to taste
After okra is rinsed and patted dry, cut each okra pod in half lengthwise, then cut in 1/8 inch julienne strips.
Place the okra slices in a bowl and sprinkle with the flour.
Toss well until the okra slices are well coated with the flour and set aside.
Heat a deep fryer to 375 degrees.
Place the okra slices in the basket, being careful not to overcrowd it and fry for 6 to 8 minutes until golden-brown.
Remove from fryer, drain on paper towels.
Sprinkle the okra fries with sea salt and serve immediately.