OK, all you local history buffs, here’s your chance to display your knowledge with this little trivia test. Answers to the questions are below:
1. Who was the longest serving congressman from Georgia’s 9th District?
2. Name the two drive-in movie theaters that once operated in Gainesville and their locations.
3. Name the three movie theaters and their locations in downtown Gainesville that operated for many years.
4. Name the first movie theater off the downtown square.
5. For whom was Hall County named and what was he known for?
6. For whom was Gainesville named and why?
7. For whom was Gainesville’s Green Street named?
8. What was the name of the fast food and soft ice cream restaurant that once operated where Little Italy restaurant is today near City Park in Gainesville?
9. What business operated for years in the triangle between Ronnie Green Parkway (formerly North Green Street) and Park Hill Drive and most recently was occupied by Subway?
10. What two longtime photographers once worked in upstairs studios across North Bradford Street from each other just off Gainesville’s square?
11. What were the main drug stores on Gainesville’s square during the 1950s?
12. Name some new car dealers operating in Gainesville in the 1950s.
13. Who was Gainesville’s first black mayor?
14. Who was Hall County’s first black commissioner?
15. For whom was E.E. Butler Parkway named and what were the names of the former streets?
16. What north Hall County community changed its name?
17. What Hall County family can boast of two Pulitzer Prizes?
18. How did Flowery Branch get its name?
19. For whom is Clark’s Bridge named?
20. For whom was Habersham County named?
21. What was Hall County’s first radio station and where did it originate?
22. Where was The Times first located?
23. Lakeshore Lanes and adjacent restaurant were original businesses in what is now Lakeshore Mall.
24. What bowling alley preceded Lakeshore Lanes?
1. Tom Bell of Hall County served 26 years from 1905 to 1931. Phil Landrum of Jasper served 22 years from 1953 to 1977. Nathan Deal, now governor of Georgia, served from 1993 to 2010, part of that time as 10th District representative because of redistricting.
2. Skyview on Atlanta Highway and Lake Lanier on Thompson Bridge Road.
3. Royal on South Main Street, Ritz on Bradford and State on Washington. The Alamo Theater preceded them in the downtown area.
4. The Roxy on Athens Street. Sherwood Rocking Chair Theater at Sherwood Plaza on South Enota Drive came along later.
5. Lyman Hall, one of three Georgia signers of the Declaration of Independence.
6. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines, who served in the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 and was a hero to some of the town’s founders.
7. Dr. Robert Green, an entrepreneur who operated the street car system that ran through Gainesville along Green Street and Riverside Drive to Lake Warner, site of the present American Legion Post 7. Actually, W.C. Whetstone started the street car system, eventually taken over by Dr. Green.
8. The Dairy Queen and Brazier. The DQ now resides just down Ronnie Green Parkway across from City Park.
9. George Forrester’s Sinclair Service Station.
10. Leonard Cinciolo and Ed Beazley.
11. Piedmont at the corner of Washington and Bradford; Whatley’s on Spring Street; Imperial at the corner of Bradford and Washington; Dixie in the Dixie-Hunt Hotel building. Ledford’s Pharmacy also operated at 111 E. Washington, and Tyner’s on South Bradford.
12. Gainesville Ford on South Main; Jimmie Haynes Motors, Chrysler and Plymouth, East Broad Street; Sawyer-Wommack Motors, Dodge and Plymouth, East Broad; Gainesville Lincoln-Mercury, East Broad; Jacobs Motors, Cadillac, and later Buick and Oldsmobile, East Broad; Prosser Motors, DeSoto and Plymouth, South Green Street; Southern Motor Co., Pontiac, North Green; Martin Motors, Chevrolet. South Main.
13. John Morrow, first black councilman elected in 1979, became mayor in 1985.
14. Frances Meadows, elected 1992.
15. Dr. Emmett Etheridge Butler, physician, civic leader and first black member of the Gainesville Board of Education. Sycamore and Athens streets were renamed in his honor.
16. Earlier called Dip because it was a dip between mountains, Clermont leaders changed the name because of its clear view of the mountains. Could you blame them?
17. Malcolm Malone Johnson, New York Sun reporter, and his son, Haynes Johnson, who was an author and frequent guest on television news panels. The Johnson family is credited with changing their community of Dip’s name to Clermont. Former Times staffers Deborah Blum and Mike duCille also are Pulitzer winners.
18. From the Indian trading place once called “Nattagasska,” which means “blossom creek.”
19. Elizabeth Clark, who built the first covered toll bridge, named Clark’s, in 1860. She previously operated a ferry at the spot on the Chattahoochee River north of Gainesville.
20. Col. Joseph Habersham, military, civic and legislative leader, whose summer home still stands north of Clarkesville. Clarkesville, the county seat, was named for John C. Clarke, a Revolutionary War veteran.
21. WGGA was first located off Athens Highway.
22. In the former Ward’s Funeral Home at the corner of Maple and West Washington streets, just off Gainesville’s downtown square. It relocated to the old Crescent Ice Cream building on West Spring Street, then in 1970 to its present quarters, 345 Green St. N.W.
23. Gainesville Bowling Center was at 304 South Main St. next to DeLong Home and Auto Supply, down from Mayflower Café and near Martin Motor Co.
Johnny Vardeman is retired editor of The Times. He can be reached at 2183 Pinetree Circle NE, Gainesville, GA. 30501. His column appears Sundays and at gainesvilletimes.com/johnny.