Time for another history trivia quiz about Northeast Georgia. Answers at end of column.
1. What was the name of the street that preceded E.E. Butler Parkway in Gainesville?
2. What was the name of the street that preceded Jesse Jewell Parkway?
3. What was the name of the street that preceded Martin Luther King Drive?
4. Why is there a monument to the apple in Cornelia?
5. Where was the community of Bowdre in Hall County?
6. Where is the community of Klondike in Hall County?
7. For whom was the former community of Belton in Hall County named?
8. Where does the name “Mount Yonah” in White County originate?
9. What county seat in North Georgia was named for the man credited with the quotation “Don’t give up the ship!”?
10. Where was St. Michael Catholic Church before its present location on South Enota Drive in Gainesville?
11. What president’s child was born in Gainesville?
12. For whom is the community of Dillard in Rabun County named?
13. For whom is the town of Young Harris and the college there named?
14. What renowned folk artist lived in Rabbittown in Hall County?
15. What media group was once located on Gainesville’s Spring Street in the building now occupied by Ninth District Opportunity?
16. Name five furniture stores that operated in downtown Gainesville during the 1950s.
17. What was the name of the funeral home that once operated on West Broad Street, now Jesse Jewell Parkway, near the present United Community Bank?
18. What discount store once operated on Thompson Bridge Road just north of WDUN radio station in the strip shopping center that now contains Publix supermarket?
1. Sycamore and Athens streets.
2. Part of it was Broad Street, and the eastern end was Spring Street toward New Holland.
3. Myrtle Street, for the most part. Myrtle remains on the eastern end from Downey Boulevard to New Holland. MLK Drive runs from Queen City Parkway to Downey Boulevard.
4. Habersham County once was a top producer of apples, and the monument honors those prime times. Southern Railway donated and erected the monument in 1926 at its Cornelia depot, where it remains a tourist curiosity.
5. Bowdre was a railroad stop for those visiting White Sulphur Springs just south of Lula.
6. In South Hall County, a suburb of Candler and Belmont.
7. Major John Bell, an early settler. Previously the town was called Glade Mines for the mining operation that was under way in the area now known simply as the Glades between Lula and Brookton. Belton was incorporated in 1879 and merged with Lula in 1956.
8. An Indian word meaning “bear.” Some said the Indians thought the mountain looked like a sleeping bear. Legend has it that Indian Princess Nacoochee threw herself off the mountain’s summit after her father Cherokee Chief Wahoo had her lover from another tribe, Sautee, thrown from the cliff.
9. Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County. Capt. James Lawrence’s dying words during a naval battle in the War of 1812 were “Don’t give up the ship!” Lawrenceville was the only town in Gwinnett County until the railroad came through in the late 1800s and sprouted Duluth, Norcross, Suwanee and Buford.
10. Between Spring and Broad streets across from Northeast Georgia Medical Center and Brenau University. The building still stands.
11. Woodrow Wilson’s first child, Margaret, was born in Gainesville in 1886.
12. John and James Dillard, early settlers and Revolutionary War veterans. The Dillard House is a popular tourist attraction, lodging facility and restaurant.
13. Young Loftin G. Harris, an Athens judge and philanthropist whose financial support jump-started the college. The town originally was named McTyeire, but was changed when the college was named for Judge Harris.
14. R.A. Miller, whose rough paintings on scrap metal continue to be bought and sold around the country.
15. Press-Radio Center housed radio station WGGA and The Times, founded by Lessie and Charles Smithgall. WGGA later relocated to Main Street and The Times to Green Street in 1970.
16. W.E. Hood on South Bradford, Mather-Gainesville on South Green, Jimmie Reeves on North Green, Pilgrim-Estes and Martin Furniture Co. on North Bradford. Martin Furniture continues in the same location.
17. Vickers Funeral Home.
18. Gibson’s, later renamed Big G, owned by Jim Reedy and Jim Baker.
Johnny Vardeman is retired editor of The Times.