In the years before the Great Depression, which is said to have started in earnest the fall of 1929, there seemed to be no signs of an economic downturn in the Gainesville area.
It's been 69 years since J.D. Satterfield jumped from an airplane over France with other American paratroopers on what was D-Day June 6, 1944, the beginning of the end of World War II in Europe.
The Red and Black has been the University of Georgia's student newspaper since 1893. It has been the vehicle that launched the careers of innumerable journalists, several of them to the loftiest heights of the profession.
It took several years to build the present Central Baptist Church building on Gainesville's southside because it ran into the Great Recession in the late 1920s and early 1930s.
"Not Made for Defeat" was the title of a book the Rev. Harold Frederic Green wrote about Gainesville's Central Baptist Church in 1974, a history of the church from its beginnings in 1890.
Gainesville Iron Works was a fixture on South Main Street for more than a century. It began as a foundry and was purchased by R.I. Mealor in 1897. It remained in the Mealor family until 1961 when R.H. Thompson and V.C. Puckett bought the business and expanded it, eventually moving part of the operation to Oakwood. U.S. Metals later acquired all the iron works operations. Albert Anderson worked at Gainesville Iron Works eight years. Now ...
Ken Cochran painstakingly helped dismantle log-by-log the historic Roberts-Orr house at Roberts Crossroads in south Hall County.
Johnny Kytle was a native of Clermont in Hall County and a pioneer daredevil pilot who carried the mail between Atlanta and Richmond, Va.
Prior Street is one of Gainesville's most important streets. It connects the northside of town to the southside. It runs from Hunter Street near St. Paul United Methodist Church on Summit Street, to City Park and the Civic Center.
Bob Dollar said Jason Nix was an ordinary man, the kind who goes about his work and lives humbly and without much fanfare or attention.
If you'd lost a dog six months ago, chances are you would have given up finding it by now and moved on.
You don't see many 5-and-10-cent stores anymore like McLellan's, which was such an anchor in downtown Gainesville over several decades.
With no television, limited transportation and very little money, children growing up in the Gainesville Mill village in the 1940s, '50s and beyond "made do."
A century and a half ago this month, the Civil War began officially with the shelling of Fort Sumter, but as embroiled as the nation was in the turmoil of the times, Hall Countians had diamonds on their minds and in their mines.
One of the little known, but most controversial figures in Hall County history was a lawyer named William H. Underwood.
In his book, "Mule and Wagon to Automobile," Prof. Thomas H. Rasmussen of Gainesville explores how a Gainesville of 472 people in 1870 grew into a sprawling metropolitan area of 180,000 today.
It was a grand occasion that mid-November day in 1928 near Flowery Branch when the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated a boulder marking where Gen. Andrew Jackson spent the night at Young's Tavern.
Not everybody got into the Roaring '20s, defined as a loose time of rebellion among some segments of the population, defying tradition and exploring a modern age after World War I and before the 1929 stock market crash and Great Depression.
In the days leading up to Nov. 22, 1963, the Hall County community was preoccupied with the usual issues and autumn activities.
As recalled a few weeks ago, numerous Hardys seemed to be born with a writer's pen in their hands or a bent toward some form of journalism.
Hall County was a pioneer in providing training for special needs or developmentally delayed children.
When they remove Tom Watson's statue from Georgia's Capitol grounds, it won't be quite as spectacular as when Iraqis and American soldiers pulled down the statue of dictator Saddam Hussein in Baghdad in the spring of 2002.
School consolidation hasn't been an issue in Hall County for some time after the major mergers in the 1950s that created North Hall, East Hall and South Hall high schools from smaller high schools such as River Bend, Oakwood, Flowery Branch, Sardis, Lula or Clermont.
Page 1 of 1