View Mobile Site

Archive By Section - Johnny Vardeman's column


Granny Parks ran a farm, raised 7 kids alone

This is a story of a strong resourceful North Georgia woman who was left to raise seven children and run a farm by herself after her husband died. It is told by Barbara Kerby of Cornelia, whose grandmother, Laura Parks, is the heroine of the story.

February 24, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Gainesville square hints of Christmas from a bygone era

Gainesville's downtown square seems to glow more warmly this Christmas season than anytime in recent memory.

February 17, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Pretty Town Creek predates founding of White County

White County is completing the celebration of its sesquicentennial year, having been created in 1857, the 125th of Georgia's 159 counties.

February 10, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Was Auraria really as rough as its reputation?

Auraria, the gold-mining boom town that rivaled Dahlonega in Lumpkin County in the 1800s, started out being called Nuckollsville.

February 07, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


The ’81 drought didn’t spur as much urgency

The drought of 1980-81 didn't seem to produce the sense of urgency that has followed the current dry spell and plummeting level of Lake Lanier.

February 02, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Bridge was more than just a way to cross river

When Helen Stell discovered a large piece of wood buried in the sand on the shore of Lake Lanier behind her home three years ago, she knew there was a story behind it.

February 02, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


‘Water Unlimited’ turned out to be a trickle

The Daily Times June 30, 1957, published an ambitious special edition marking the beginning of the operation of Buford Dam, which created Lake Lanier. It was called, ironically, it seems now, "Water Unlimited." The first electricity generated by the dam had come just 10 days earlier.

February 02, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


This Colonel Sanders had more on his plate than chicken

Long before Col. Sanders made Kentucky Fried Chicken famous, there was another Col. Sanders, a prominent Gainesville citizen who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.

January 04, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Three St. Paul Methodist churches founded in 1800s carry on

If somebody mentions St. Paul United Methodist Church around here, you have to ask which one because there are three in the Gainesville Methodist District.

January 04, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Bride's wish for wedding dress comes as a quilt

Some of the old roads around North Georgia whose names end in "ford" likely led to places in streams that could be crossed on foot, horseback or wagon.

January 04, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Restoration pumps new life into old stations in Dawsonville

People visiting downtown Dawsonville for next weekend's Moonshine Festival might think they're stepping back into a time machine.

January 04, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


WWII soldier gave up stripes to see brother

John and Roger Tankersley of Murrayville both served in Germany during World War II, surviving some of the fiercest battles in the European Theater.

January 04, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Red, White & Blue, Redtop and Goat Man

When the Old Cornelia Highway was in its prime as U.S. 23, the main route between Atlanta and the Carolinas, it was dotted with businesses ranging from truck stops to grocery stores to roadhouses to tiny seasonal fruit stands.

January 03, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman Column | Johnny Vardeman's column


Pleasant Hill church began as log building in 1855

It was only a log building in 1855 when Pleasant Hill Baptist Church began on Brown's Bridge Road near Gainesville. Four new buildings have been built since then, the latest a fine red brick structure seating 600 and dedicated in September 2005.

January 03, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Before Hall’s Chestatee High, there was one in Forsyth County

Chestatee High School on Sardis Road in Hall County is making a name for itself in academics and sports after only five years of existence.

January 03, 2008 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


« First  « Prev  20 21 22 23 24  Next »  Last »

Page 23 of 24

Articles by Section - Johnny Vardeman's column


Antioch UMC celebrates its 200th year at camp meeting

One of the oldest camp meetings in North Georgia begins Monday at the historic Antioch Campground on Antioch Campground Road in west Hall County.

July 20, 2014 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


County agents play key role in community

"County agents," as we call them, date back in Georgia 100 years. They are part of the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service, celebrating its centennial this year helping residents with home, garden and farm advice.

July 13, 2014 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Hall also had role in birthing Bulldog Nation

On this Independence Day Weekend, take a brief look at Lyman Hall, for whom Hall County is named.

July 06, 2014 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Family retains ties to historic Hall farmland

Nancy Terrell Furr hid in a cabin during the Civil War while Union soldiers plundered the countryside, picked all the pears from a tree nearby and killed the only cow she owned.

June 29, 2014 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Test your knowledge of history in Northeast Ga.

OK, all you local history buffs, here's your chance to display your knowledge with this little trivia test. Answers to the questions are below:

June 22, 2014 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


What used to be where on square in Gainesville

Relative newcomers to Hall County, and even longtime residents whose memory might be fuzzy, are curious about "what used to be" in Gainesville's downtown.

June 15, 2014 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


Humorist cut his law teeth in North Ga.

Near the intersection of Wilson Bridge and Martin Bridge roads off Exit 154 of Interstate 85 in Banks County, there once was a community called Arp.

June 08, 2014 | Johnny Vardeman | Johnny Vardeman's column


1

Page 1 of 1


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2010 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...