Auraria, the gold-mining boom town that rivaled Dahlonega in Lumpkin County in the 1800s, started out being called Nuckollsville.
The drought of 1980-81 didn't seem to produce the sense of urgency that has followed the current dry spell and plummeting level of Lake Lanier.
When Helen Stell discovered a large piece of wood buried in the sand on the shore of Lake Lanier behind her home three years ago, she knew there was a story behind it.
The Daily Times June 30, 1957, published an ambitious special edition marking the beginning of the operation of Buford Dam, which created Lake Lanier. It was called, ironically, it seems now, "Water Unlimited." The first electricity generated by the dam had come just 10 days earlier.
Long before Col. Sanders made Kentucky Fried Chicken famous, there was another Col. Sanders, a prominent Gainesville citizen who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.
If somebody mentions St. Paul United Methodist Church around here, you have to ask which one because there are three in the Gainesville Methodist District.
Some of the old roads around North Georgia whose names end in "ford" likely led to places in streams that could be crossed on foot, horseback or wagon.
People visiting downtown Dawsonville for next weekend's Moonshine Festival might think they're stepping back into a time machine.
John and Roger Tankersley of Murrayville both served in Germany during World War II, surviving some of the fiercest battles in the European Theater.
When the Old Cornelia Highway was in its prime as U.S. 23, the main route between Atlanta and the Carolinas, it was dotted with businesses ranging from truck stops to grocery stores to roadhouses to tiny seasonal fruit stands.
It was only a log building in 1855 when Pleasant Hill Baptist Church began on Brown's Bridge Road near Gainesville. Four new buildings have been built since then, the latest a fine red brick structure seating 600 and dedicated in September 2005.
Chestatee High School on Sardis Road in Hall County is making a name for itself in academics and sports after only five years of existence.
Droughts seem to happen more often in North Georgia the last few decades.
The intersection of Ga. 52 and Old Cornelia Highway remains a busy crossroads near Lula in east Hall County, but before four-lane Ga. 365 opened just to the west it was an even more popular place.
A drought once again has undressed the shoreline of Lake Lanier, revealing naked landscape not seen for years.
In his book, "Mule and Wagon to Automobile," Prof. Thomas H. Rasmussen of Gainesville explores how a Gainesville of 472 people in 1870 grew into a sprawling metropolitan area of 180,000 today.
It was a grand occasion that mid-November day in 1928 near Flowery Branch when the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated a boulder marking where Gen. Andrew Jackson spent the night at Young's Tavern.
Not everybody got into the Roaring '20s, defined as a loose time of rebellion among some segments of the population, defying tradition and exploring a modern age after World War I and before the 1929 stock market crash and Great Depression.
In the days leading up to Nov. 22, 1963, the Hall County community was preoccupied with the usual issues and autumn activities.
As recalled a few weeks ago, numerous Hardys seemed to be born with a writer's pen in their hands or a bent toward some form of journalism.
Hall County was a pioneer in providing training for special needs or developmentally delayed children.
When they remove Tom Watson's statue from Georgia's Capitol grounds, it won't be quite as spectacular as when Iraqis and American soldiers pulled down the statue of dictator Saddam Hussein in Baghdad in the spring of 2002.
School consolidation hasn't been an issue in Hall County for some time after the major mergers in the 1950s that created North Hall, East Hall and South Hall high schools from smaller high schools such as River Bend, Oakwood, Flowery Branch, Sardis, Lula or Clermont.
Page 1 of 1