Before the Gainesville downtown streets were paved, it was a common sight for mules and horses pulling wagons to be mired in near knee-deep mud.
Jim Davidson, who published the Cleveland, Ga., Courier, was the consummate old-time editor who tediously hand-set one at a time every letter of every word of every sentence in his four-page newspaper long hours into the night, but never on Sunday.
North Georgia over the years produced a bumper crop of entertaining and sometimes controversial newspaper editors.
When zipper inventor and manufacturer Talon Inc., announced it would locate in Cleveland in the summer of 1952, the normally reserved weekly Cleveland Courier shouted the news in 2-inch headlines.
Probably a few longtime Hall County residents have an old "chicken tag" lying around, having saved it from the 1950s and '60s or found it at a garage or yard sale somewhere.
It could have been Lyman Hall instead of Old Joe on Gainesville's downtown square. In 1901, Somebody suggested a statue of Hall, the county's namesake and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, be erected in the middle of the square.
An important piece of Hall County history relating to the founding of Gainesville in 1821 will be highlighted Saturday at Air Line Baptist Church Cemetery.
Community postmaster jobs once were considered a valuable political plum, and therefore were much lusted over.
When the Air Line railroad began construction just after the Civil War, Gainesville had fewer than 500 residents, and no houses had been built in 12 years.
As Georgia and other Southern states contemplated secession from the Union in 1860, they scheduled conventions to decide the issue.
A few days before the Civil War broke out with the firing on Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor April 12, 1861, mini-civil wars erupted now and then, even in Gainesville.
Gainesville had no clue, of course, that it would be the bull's eye for a record tornado that would ravage its downtown early on a Monday morning, April 6, 1936.
One of Lessie Smithgall's favorite stories about her early newspaper days was when she was making telephone calls trying to get people to subscribe to the brand-new Gainesville Daily Times.
Considerable commotion arose a few years ago when some Georgia legislators wanted to claim land north of the state's boundary with Tennessee so Georgia could get water from the Tennessee River.
It takes big dreamers sometime to get things done, but sometimes dreams evaporate with the times.
Time for another little local history trivia quiz. Answers follow:
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and local leaders broke ground for Buford Dam in 1949, and it would be another seven years before the first trickle of water from the Chattahoochee River would begin to form Lake Lanier.
A mother and her two daughters were among those killed in the Cooper Pants Factory fire that started during the 1936 Gainesville tornado.
Jackson Countians know why the Jefferson bypass on U.S. 129 south of Gainesville is named for Major Damon J. Gause. Many others, even in neighboring counties, might not know that he was a World War II hero, whose remarkable story about multiple escapes from the Japanese will be told in a Public Broadcasting documentary next year.
Frances Miller Haynes will turn 100 years old Oct. 1. Appropriately, she will celebrate in advance Saturday in the building with which she is most identified – Candler Street School just off North Green Street in Gainesville.
Even longtime North Georgia residents are struck at how Gainesville's Atlanta Highway transformed so quickly.
Many remember the movie "The Last Picture Show," which came out in 1971 and starred Jeff Bridges and Cybill Shepherd. It was about a dying Texas town whose businesses, including the movie show, were failing.
Connie Propes and other neighbors where Wal-Mart is building a grocery and installing gas pumps on Thompson Bridge Road in Gainesville are researching the history of the area, in particular Slaughterhouse Creek, which might be affected by rainfall runoff from the development. The creek eventually feeds into Lake Lanier.
Page 1 of 1