Howard Samples has a unique autograph written in the floor of the carport in his Forsyth County home: "Junior S., 1983."
For family entertainment, Bill Sellers used to pile his wife Miriam and two sons Bruce and Billy into their car and track down a train.
There have been as many versions of the legend of Nacoochee as there have been cows grazing the fields of that lush White County valley.
They had the annual Dyer-Souther family reunion at Choestoe Baptist Church in Union County a couple of weeks ago.
Ben Fouts believes he was the first person to water ski barefooted on Lake Lanier.
Hall Countians and other North Georgians played important parts in the removal of the Cherokee Indians westward to Oklahoma on what became called the Trail of Tears.
W.F. (Dub) Westmoreland Jr. didn't just play cowboy like many of his peers when he was a child. His grandparents, Marvin and Mary Nell Autry, had him driving cows on their Clark's Bridge Road farm in Hall County when he was 4 years old.
Really, it shouldn't have taken a court case to figure out that local, state and federal officials intended for Lake Lanier to be used as a water supply for neighboring communities.
Before the Gainesville downtown streets were paved, it was a common sight for mules and horses pulling wagons to be mired in near knee-deep mud.
Jim Davidson, who published the Cleveland, Ga., Courier, was the consummate old-time editor who tediously hand-set one at a time every letter of every word of every sentence in his four-page newspaper long hours into the night, but never on Sunday.
North Georgia over the years produced a bumper crop of entertaining and sometimes controversial newspaper editors.
When zipper inventor and manufacturer Talon Inc., announced it would locate in Cleveland in the summer of 1952, the normally reserved weekly Cleveland Courier shouted the news in 2-inch headlines.
Probably a few longtime Hall County residents have an old "chicken tag" lying around, having saved it from the 1950s and '60s or found it at a garage or yard sale somewhere.
It could have been Lyman Hall instead of Old Joe on Gainesville's downtown square. In 1901, Somebody suggested a statue of Hall, the county's namesake and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, be erected in the middle of the square.
An important piece of Hall County history relating to the founding of Gainesville in 1821 will be highlighted Saturday at Air Line Baptist Church Cemetery.
Connie Propes and other neighbors where Wal-Mart is building a grocery and installing gas pumps on Thompson Bridge Road in Gainesville are researching the history of the area, in particular Slaughterhouse Creek, which might be affected by rainfall runoff from the development. The creek eventually feeds into Lake Lanier.
During the recent razing of several sorority houses at Brenau University in Gainesville, students and alumni gathered in groups at times to snap photos and hopefully get a brick or other piece of memorabilia from the rubble.
The east side of Gainesville's downtown square in the 1950s was dominated by clothing stores, most of them what you would consider discount shops today.
At the height of the Lumpkin County gold rush, people from all over the country were coming to North Georgia to pursue their personal fortune. Locals sometimes were prone to take advantage of gullible outside prospectors.
Editor's note: For many years, Johnny Vardeman, retired editor of The Times, would write his annual "'mater sammich" column as homegrown tomatoes started coming in during the summer. "'Maters and Music" will be the theme for a tomato sandwich event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 23 at the Byron Herbert Reece Farm and Heritage Center one mile north of Vogel State Park, 9 miles south of Blairsville on U.S. 129.
A century will have passed Monday since the beginning of World War I, which started July 28, 1914, when Austria declared war on Serbia. The United States didn't enter until three years later, declaring war on Germany.
One of the oldest camp meetings in North Georgia begins Monday at the historic Antioch Campground on Antioch Campground Road in west Hall County.
"County agents," as we call them, date back in Georgia 100 years. They are part of the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service, celebrating its centennial this year helping residents with home, garden and farm advice.
Page 1 of 1