Longtime Hall Countians are remembering three former Gainesville educators who died within the last few days: Louise Platt Bloom, Bertha Turner and Brownie Flournoy.
This is a story of a strong resourceful North Georgia woman who was left to raise seven children and run a farm by herself after her husband died. It is told by Barbara Kerby of Cornelia, whose grandmother, Laura Parks, is the heroine of the story.
Gainesville's downtown square seems to glow more warmly this Christmas season than anytime in recent memory.
White County is completing the celebration of its sesquicentennial year, having been created in 1857, the 125th of Georgia's 159 counties.
Auraria, the gold-mining boom town that rivaled Dahlonega in Lumpkin County in the 1800s, started out being called Nuckollsville.
The drought of 1980-81 didn't seem to produce the sense of urgency that has followed the current dry spell and plummeting level of Lake Lanier.
When Helen Stell discovered a large piece of wood buried in the sand on the shore of Lake Lanier behind her home three years ago, she knew there was a story behind it.
The Daily Times June 30, 1957, published an ambitious special edition marking the beginning of the operation of Buford Dam, which created Lake Lanier. It was called, ironically, it seems now, "Water Unlimited." The first electricity generated by the dam had come just 10 days earlier.
Long before Col. Sanders made Kentucky Fried Chicken famous, there was another Col. Sanders, a prominent Gainesville citizen who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.
If somebody mentions St. Paul United Methodist Church around here, you have to ask which one because there are three in the Gainesville Methodist District.
Some of the old roads around North Georgia whose names end in "ford" likely led to places in streams that could be crossed on foot, horseback or wagon.
People visiting downtown Dawsonville for next weekend's Moonshine Festival might think they're stepping back into a time machine.
John and Roger Tankersley of Murrayville both served in Germany during World War II, surviving some of the fiercest battles in the European Theater.
When the Old Cornelia Highway was in its prime as U.S. 23, the main route between Atlanta and the Carolinas, it was dotted with businesses ranging from truck stops to grocery stores to roadhouses to tiny seasonal fruit stands.
It was only a log building in 1855 when Pleasant Hill Baptist Church began on Brown's Bridge Road near Gainesville. Four new buildings have been built since then, the latest a fine red brick structure seating 600 and dedicated in September 2005.
Gainesville native Iverson D. Hudgins was characterized "a miracle man" because he survived the 1936 tornado despite being caught in the vortex of the twister, thrown high above his house, landing midst all manner of debris and leaving him with 17 fractures and nails in one eye and his jaw.
There are so many stories that have been told and retold about the 1936 tornado that caused more than 200 deaths in the heart of Gainesville.
Woolley's Ford was one of those places on rivers in Northeast Georgia where people would cross either wading across shallows or riding a ferry. Bridges weren't all that common on such streams as the Chattahoochee or Chestatee until the late 1800s.
The first minister of Chestatee Baptist Church, John Edward "Jackie" Rives, was a successful farmer and merchant who turned preacher in 1833 after hearing a stirring sermon on swearing, a sin he admitted he was guilty of.
Jack Elrod spent much of his childhood roaming the rivers and woods around Gainesville and North Georgia.
If it weren't for the preference of Southern cooks for white flour in the early 1900s, there might not be a Helen, Ga., as it is today.
Iris Thompson Fry of Lula is somewhat of a hoarder - not the kind you see on television, but a hoarder of memories and stories.
Page 1 of 1