The First Baptist Church on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. is one of the oldest continuous churches in Gainesville. First organized in 1838, little is known about the early days of the church because there were no written records.
Nacoochee Presbyterian Church, just off Ga. 255 in the center of the White County community of Sautee, was originally founded in 1870 by Capt. James Nichols. Nichols moved his from family Milledgeville to the Sautee area after the Civil War.
Across the Chattahoochee River, just north of Helen and near a flea market and tube rental businesses, stands a church that has been in that area since 1860, long before any of the attractions of Helen existed. Chattahoochee United Methodist Church, sitting on the edge of Scorpion Hollow, celebrated its 150th anniversary last year.
Early on June 4, 2000, the Rev. Fulton Boswell and a few members of Montgomery Memorial Baptist Church watched as the sanctuary was gutted by fire. The cause was arson, and no one was ever arrested. Later that day, the congregation gathered under a tent for the regular Sunday service.