View Mobile Site

Take a sneak peek at The Times' new website

August 17th, 2017 08:11 a.m.


Martin elementary fire does about $20,000 in damage

POSTED: April 28, 2014 3:40 p.m.

A fire did between $15,000 and $20,000 in damage Monday to the kitchen at Martin Technology Academy of Math and Science in Flowery Branch.

An electrical short in an oven apparently caused the blaze, with smoke confined to the kitchen and cafeteria, said Gordon Higgins, spokesman for the Hall County school system.

The fire was reported at 9:20 a.m., according to Hall County Fire Services, and the 800-student school at 4216 Martin Road was evacuated.

Firefighters arrived by 9:30 and quickly put out the fire, Higgins said. Students were allowed back inside shortly after 10 a.m.

The school system’s food service staff provided sack lunches to students in the classrooms and will do so again Tuesday "to give staff adequate time to do thorough cleaning of the kitchen," Higgins said. The school should be back to a normal lunch schedule Wednesday.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.




Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...