View Mobile Site


Burned Gainesville boy released from hospital

POSTED: November 15, 2013 5:36 p.m.

A young boy burned in a residential fire this past weekend is now back with his family.

Jeremiah Williams, 7, was sleeping in a front room of his home on Banks Street in the early morning hours of Nov. 9 when fire spread through the house. Six adults and two other children were able to escape.

However, Cpl. Drew Reed and Officer Steven Folker with the Gainesville Police Department had to remove a window unit in order to reach the young boy.

Williams was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital, with second-degree burns on his head and upper torso. He also suffered from smoke inhalation.

He was released from the hospital Thursday, according to Capt. Keith Smith, public information officer with the Gainesville Fire Department.

"He is expected to recover," Smith said. "It was just unbelievable how close it was to being a major catastrophe."

The fire is attributed to a space heater in the home.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.




Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...