View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

NATIONAL NEWS VIDEO

Cigarette causes fire in East Hall; damage is $50K

POSTED: September 19, 2008 5:02 a.m.

A discarded cigarette resulted in a Saturday fire that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to an East Hall home.

Firefighters responded at about noon to find smoke coming from the carport area of the home at 4544 Old Cornelia Highway, Hall County fire Capt. Scott Cagle said Sunday.

As they entered the home, they found heavy smoke but few flames.

"(It) appears that the fire was in the smoldering stage," Cagle said.

The fire appeared to start near a cushioned wooden chair.

After hearing a smoke detector go off, one of the home’s occupants opened the door to the basement and a rush of smoke knocked him over, Cagle said.

The man alerted his mother, who was in her upstairs bedroom, and the pair went outside.

Emergency workers treated the two people at the scene.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2014 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...