View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

Girl burned by lighter

POSTED: August 13, 2008 5:01 a.m.
A 3-year-old girl suffered minor burns to her ankle while playing with a lighter Friday in an incident that a Hall County fire official said could have been much worse.

The girl, who was not named by officials because of federal privacy laws, was taken to the Lanier Park campus of Northeast Georgia Medical Center for treatment of first- and second-degree burns, Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said.

Cagle said the girl found a lighter outside her Crow Road home at about 1:30 p.m. near a grill. The lighter did not have a child-resistant mechanism, he said.

The girl was wearing flame-resistant pajamas that stopped the fire from spreading, Cagle said.

"The fire and burns could have been much worse had she been wearing flannel or another material," Cagle said.

Cagle said the lighter should have been put away and not in the reach of the child.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2014 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...