View Mobile Site

Take a sneak peek at The Times' new website

August 17th, 2017 08:11 a.m.

Take a sneak peek at The Times' new website

August 17th, 2017 08:10 a.m.


Cold front sliding into North Georgia

Officials urge caution with stoves and heaters

POSTED: October 28, 2012 11:41 p.m.

That flame flickering in your porch jack-o’-lantern may be a tempting place for trick-or-treaters to warm their hands this Halloween.

The waning days of October will bring clear skies, a full moon and the coldest temperatures of the fall so far as a cold front slides through North Georgia.

As residents of the Northeast deal with a killer hurricane turned nor’easter, Georgians will get a little frost on their pumpkins.

Today’s high is only expected to reach the low 50s, with northwestern winds gusting up to 35 mph. Tonight’s low will dip to the mid-30s and may dip below freezing in some areas of the Georgia mountains.

Tuesday’s high will stay near 50, with temps back down to the mid-30s overnight.

Clear skies and cool temps are expected to continue through midweek before a warmup toward the weekend. And there’s not a drop of rain in the five-day forecast.

Also, as temperatures drop, the number of residential fires usually increases, Hall County fire officials said.

Fire prevention officials encourage residents to take extra precautions.

“Many times, people just don’t understand the risk involved in using alternative heating methods. They are trying to keep costs down, and stay warm, and sometimes those things just don’t add up”, said Capt. Scott Cagle, Hall County Fire Marshal.

Cagle urged special precautions for the use of wood stoves or fireplaces as well as space heaters.

Carbon monoxide is another problem that can develop during the winter months, Cagle said.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. It can come from gas-fired appliances, charcoal grills, wood-burning furnaces or fireplaces, and motor vehicles. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are similar to flu symptoms. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. Carbon monoxide poisoning is deadly.

“This is also a good time to check the operation of your smoke alarms, and design and practice your home escape plan,” Cagle said.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.




Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...