View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

Spontaneous combustion sparks fire

Liquor store under construction burns

POSTED: July 2, 2008 5:01 a.m.

A Winder Highway liquor store under construction caught fire as a result of spontaneous combustion late Thursday, a fire official said.

Firefighters responded to a report of a fire at the 10,000-square-foot building at the corner of Martin Road and Winder Highway at about 11:13 p.m. Thursday, Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said.

Firefighters entered the building, where smoke and fire was visible, and quickly extinguished the blaze. About $50,000 worth of damage was caused to the $300,000 building, Cagle said.

The suspected cause of fire was a pile of oily rags used for staining that spontaneously burst into flames inside the store, Cagle said.

Cagle said evaporation can produce heat in the rags that will eventually start a fire. It was the first case of spontaneous combustion Cagle could recall in about eight years.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2010 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...