View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

Fire spreads from man's car to house

POSTED: June 19, 2008 5:00 a.m.

No one was injured in a fire that burned about half of Calvin Sargent’s home.

Gainesville and Hall County fire departments responded to Sargent’s call for help at about 2 p.m. Saturday. They arrived to his home at 2099 Skelton Road and found half of the house on fire.

Hall County Fire Capt. Scott Cagle said Sargent was the only person home when the fire started in the carport attached to the home. Sargent was repairing his car when the carburetor backfired and started a small fire in the vehicle’s engine compartment.

After unsuccessful attempts to douse the flames himself, Sargent called for help.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire, but the approximately $100,000 home already had sustained about $50,000 of damage and is unlivable, Cagle said.

Cagle said Sargent is seeking clothing and temporary shelter from the Red Cross. Fire officials determined the home fire an accident.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2010 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...