View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

NATIONAL NEWS VIDEO

Congregation at Nacoochee Presbyterian still growing

POSTED: June 25, 2011 1:30 a.m.
TOM REED/ The Times

Pastor Bob Prim talks to the children of the congregation during a recent service at Nacoochee Presbyterian Church.

View Larger

Nacoochee Presbyterian Church, just off Ga. 255 in the center of the White County community of Sautee, was originally founded in 1870 by Capt. James Nichols. Nichols moved his from family Milledgeville to the Sautee area after the Civil War.

As the congregation grew, including former slaves from the area, the church moved from its location to the Nacoochee Institute.

The original church building is still in use as the Crescent Hill Baptist Church, a beautiful little chapel overlooking the Nacoochee Indian Mound. In 1926 a fire destroyed the Nacoochee Institute. The congregation worshipped in a shed, then moved to a renovated dairy barn in 1927.

The current church building was finished and dedicated in 1927. The original structure of the church has evolved over the years including the addition of a bell tower in 1989.

Church ushers still open services with the ringing of the bell. Classrooms, a sessions room and a pastor’s study have been added along with an enlarged fellowship hall and kitchen. A memory garden has been added behind the church building and is the site of Easter sunrise services as well as plaques commemorating deceased members whose ashes have been scattered during memorial services.

Nacoochee Presbyterian Church currently has about 300 members and continues to be involved in the Sautee Nacoochee community through programs such as Habitat for Humanity and working with homeless families in White County.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2014 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...