View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

Nearly two inches of rain fell Sunday on Gainesville, but Lake Lanier needs much more

POSTED: February 29, 2008 5:01 a.m.

While no tornadoes touched down in Gainesville during Sunday’s tornado watch, plenty of rain poured into the city — more, in fact, than Gainesville has received in a single day in nearly a year.

As of late Sunday evening, Gainesville had received 1.9 inches of rain. The last time that much fell on the city in a single day was March 1, according to officials with the National Weather Service in Peachtree City.

While receiving that amount of rain in such a short period of time will no doubt help alleviate drought conditions, it won’t do enough.

"It is something that might make a little bit of a dent," said National Weather Service meteorologist Stephen Konarik. "It was heavy enough to cause some runoff that will trickle into streams, but it was a pretty isolated thing. (It’s not enough) to fill Lake Lanier."

And despite the relief, the respite was short lived.

The severe storm system responsible for the tornado watch and downpour had moved through Gainesville by midnight, leaving the skies clear and colder.

National Weather Service meteorologist Sean Ryan predicted overnight low temperatures in the mid-40s. Today will warm up a little, with daytime highs in the mid-50s, but drop again tonight to lows in the 30s.

No more rain is expected until later in the week.

"There’s a (20 percent) chance of rain starting Wednesday night and a 30 percent chance as we get into Thursday," Konarik said. "There’s a 50 percent chance Thursday night and continuing into Friday."

While you might not need your umbrella for a few days, Konarik said to expect some gusty winds during the week.

"It will be pretty breezy," he said. "We do have a wind advisory everywhere north of Gainesville" where gusts more than 35 mph are expected. Konarik did not know how long the wind advisory would remain in effect.

Despite the lack of a wind advisory for Gainesville, Konarik said to expect gusts up to 25 mph today and into Tuesday.

"It looks like it might calm down as the rain comes (toward the end of the week)," he said.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2010 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...