View Mobile Site


Tech men: Jackets win first home game of season

POSTED: January 3, 2008 5:02 a.m.
ATLANTA — Winning at home after 10 games was no big deal for Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt.

Lewis Clinch and Maurice Miller each scored 13 points and Anthony Morrow added 11 as Georgia Tech routed Centenary 86-41 Saturday, giving the Yellow Jackets their first home game win of the season.

Tech (5-5) had played only two previous games at Alexander Memorial Coliseum, losing to UNC-Greensboro in its season-opener 83-74 and on Tuesday night to No. 3 Kansas, 71-66.

"It’s just one game. It’s nice to get a win, but there’s no major significance to it," said Hewitt.

He was pleased, however, with the defense and effort despite the lop-sided score.

"We forced 23 turnovers. Even though we had a big lead in the second half I think we did a good job of not letting down and getting into the open court," said Hewitt. "Yes, I am pleased with the effortt."

The Yellow Jackets played 13 players and 12 scored at least two points.

"Yes. A lot of guys got playing time today," said Hewitt. "Alade (Aminu) had a good game. Mo Miller in particular probably if you had to single out a certain individual that benefitted the most from this game. He had a good stat line with no turnovers and three assists.

Miller, a freshman guard, scored all of his career-high points in the second half, hitting on four of six shots, including three of four 3-point goals.

"He did a nice job. He didn’t have any turnovers but he got a little winded at the end," said Hewitt. (Miller missed three games with a bone bruyse on his lower back and had played only 41 minutes combined in the last four games).

"It’s a nice confidence boost for him. He shot the ball well," added Hewitt, who played Miller 19 minutes, 13 in the second half.

Tech shot 48 percent (30-of-62) from the field, hitting 11 of 27 3’s.

Justin Glenn led Centenary (7-6) with 10 points.

The Yellow Jackets broke the game open outscoring Centenary 17-3 to open the second half for a 58-26 as Morrow scored seven points and Gani Lawal added five.

Tech led 41-23 at the half with Clinch scoring 10 points for the Yellow Jackets.

The Yellow Jackets biggest lead of the opening half was 24 points at 33-9 with 7:34 left before intermission as Centenary hit on only 3 of its first 16 shots.

The Gentlemen from Shreveport, La., managed to hit four consecutive 3’s, the last by Stallings to get within 34-21 with 5:02 left in the half. But Clinch hit a 3 and Alade Aminu and Jeremis Smith added baskets for the 18-point halftime margin.

Centenary played without its leading scorer, Tyrone Hamilton (17.4 points), who was suspended for disciplinary reasons.

Coach Rob Flaska held a team meeting afterward and was unavailable for comment.

The 41 points allowed by Tech was its lowest since beating Marist 90-40 on Dec. 23, 2003.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.




Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...