View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

Apartment fire burns 60-year-old

POSTED: December 31, 2008 5:00 a.m.

A 60-year-old man remained in Northeast Georgia Medical Center on Tuesday with second-degree burns over nearly a third of his body following a fire Monday night at his Tower Heights Road apartment.

Gainesville Fire Chief Jon Canada said fire crews were called to 320 Tower Heights Road at about 7:20 p.m. Monday, where heavy smoke was seen coming from an 1,600-square-foot, single story apartment building.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was confined to a bathroom in one of the building’s three apartments, soon after arriving, Canada said.

Canada said the occupant burned his left shoulder, torso, left leg and foot while trying to put the fire out. He was taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center, where he was in fair and stable condition Tuesday, Canada said.

The fire was started when an unattended space heater in the bathroom caught a clothes hamper and shower curtain on fire, Canada said.

Space heaters should have a minimum of three feet clearance and never be left unattended, Canada said.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2010 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...