View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

12 days to a fire-safe Christmas: Candles can spark a blaze

POSTED: December 24, 2008 5:00 a.m.

Many holiday celebrations and observances require the use of candles. The number of candle-related fires increases significantly during this holiday season. In order to ensure a fire-safe holiday when using candles, follow these precautions:

If possible, avoid using lit candles.

Always keep candle tools, such as matches and lighters, out of the reach of children.

Make sure candles are in stable holders and place them where they cannot be knocked over easily.

Never leave the room where candles are burning, particularly if there are young children or pets present. The family dog can easily be the cause of a tipped-over candle.

Never put lit candles on a tree. In fact, never go near the Christmas tree with an open flame — candles, lighters or matches.

When using candles, make sure there is a one-foot clearance around the candle. This includes curtains, decorations or anything combustible.

Consider using flame-less candles, such as battery-operated candles. Many of these candles are scented, and work well in windows or other areas where combustibles may be nearby.

With the onset of the holiday season, it is important to focus on fire safety and prevention. For 12 days, Hall County Fire Services will be providing tips for making your holidays safe. For more information, contact Lt. Beverley Walker with Hall County Fire Services at 770-531-6838.



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2014 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...