View Mobile Site


TOP RECENT CONTENT

NATIONAL VIDEO

Gainesville Legion to dedicate pavilion on Lanier

POSTED: August 9, 2014 1:22 a.m.

The American Legion Paul E. Bolding Post 7 is dedicating its refurbished pavilion at 11 a.m. today at 2343 Riverside Drive, Gainesville.

The pavilion, which sits off Lake Lanier at the end of Riverside Drive, was part of an amusement park, Chattahoochee Park, built about 1900 on the banks of what was then Lake Warner.

Georgia Power bought the park in 1923 and operated it as an employee retreat until 1955. When Lake Lanier was completed in 1958, most of the buildings of Chattahoochee Park were covered by water, leaving behind just the pavilion.

The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, an Atlanta-based nonprofit, included the aging pavilion in its 2012 list of the state’s top 10 “Places in Peril.”

Gainesville City Council later voted to spend $25,000 for building materials to restore the pavilion, with the work done by Georgia Department of Corrections crews.

In return, the post agreed to allow the city to use the building to promote tourism and to conduct public safety training exercises for a 10-year period.

For more information about the event, call 770-534-7091.

 



Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

LOCAL

SPORTS

LIFE & GET OUT

LOCAL VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2015 The Times, Gainesville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...