View Mobile Site


Toddler ready for kidney transplant

POSTED: August 10, 2014 1:00 a.m.
/For The Times

Randi Hyde carries her son, Mason, to the sofa after the toddler fell asleep while playing. Mason has a heart condition and is scheduled for a kidney transplant in October.

View Larger

After waiting a couple of years, little Mason Hyde has reached all of the milestones, including a desired weight and finding a donor, required for a kidney transplant.

“It’s taking a while for him to get his transplant,” said Randi Hyde, his mother. “But to me, it doesn’t seem too far because I’ve done this for years, so I’m happy with a couple months.”

Mason, who was born prematurely nearly three years ago, has a heart condition that causes oxygenated blood to mix with the deoxygenated blood in the heart. Nearly two weeks after his birth, he was sent home with hospice care.

Not expected to live past a few days, and certainly not months, Mason has undergone three heart surgeries and many other operations.

“If we have an emergency, we go straight to Egleston (Hospital in Atlanta),” Hyde said. “Because if anything goes wrong, the doctors he needs are there. We don’t take any chances.”

Mason has awaited a kidney transplant since he started dialysis in July 2012.

“The transplant is the light at the end of the tunnel,” Hyde said. “But he’s progressing better without the transplant than they expected him to.”

Last year, the Hydes were informed Mason’s father, Bobby, was a donor match. However, they recently found out he could have possible kidney issues in the future.

“He had some tests done and he had something going on to where he may have kidney failure later in life,” Hyde said.

Through word-of-mouth and social media, a woman in her late 20s contacted the Hyde family to say she wanted to be a donor.

After finding out she was a match, she began the tests, all of which have been really good, Hyde said.

“It would be extremely hard to find a match for Mason because he has had over 20 blood transfusions,” she said. “It was amazing that she just called and happens to be the perfect match.”

The transplant is scheduled for October. Mason could be at the hospital for up to a month and possibly on several medications afterward.

This year Mason has been resuscitated twice and has been put on oxygen.

“I panic just because last time (he was put to sleep for a surgery earlier this year), he didn’t wake up. And then a week later he stopped breathing on us,” his mother said.

The Hydes are looking forward to their son being able to play on a playground with other kids, having more energy and making fewer trips to Atlanta.

“He’s going to live to be an old grandpa,” Hyde said. “Words can’t express how grateful I am he is still here. It’s a blessing straight from God.”

After the transplant, everything should improve and he should be a completely different child physically, Hyde said. And he should have all good days.

“Unless he’s in trouble,” added his older brother, Trinity Hyde.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.




Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...